Head of Marketing & Communication
Reports to: EASL Managing Director
Location: EASL Office in Geneva, Switzerland
EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF THE LIVER OFFICE HEAD of MARKETING & COMMUNICATION (GENEVA – CH)
The European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) is looking for its new Head of Marketing & Communications. EASL is a non-profit organization (NPO) with its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. It performs its duty under a written constitution.
EASL was established in 1966 by a founding group of 70 European hepatologists. Over the past 50 years it has grown into a major European medical association with significant international representation and global influence. EASL currently has over 4,000 members from all continents, and the annual meeting is now the major international scientific event for liver diseases with more than 10,000 participants. EASL’s core mission is the promotion of research and education concerning the liver and liver diseases. EASL runs a comprehensive portfolio of conferences, schools and related educational meetings. More recently, EASL has established a broad collection of online education and digital tools.
EASL acts as an advisor to European and national health authorities All EASL activities and projects are coordinated and executed by the EASL office in Geneva, which currently hosts more than 30 employees across several departments. The current office covers a broad range of expertise from events management, education and publishing to marketing, finance management and public relations.
We are looking for an experienced, strategic thinking marketing and communications enthusiast professional with excellent planning skills to lead our marketing and communication team at the EASL head office in Geneva. Your role will be to develop global marketing and communication strategies and ensure alignment of global messaging while working alongside production and design teams to create compelling communications in the field of hepatology. You will lead a small team that develops, and successfully implements, global marketing and communication strategies, work plans, campaigns, events and other initiatives for scientific research/medical/public health audiences.
You will have a solid background in managing traditional offline activity, as well as a solid understanding of digital marketing. Your written and communication skills will be first-class, enabling you to develop insight-driven, clear and consistent messaging. You will be comfortable operating in a matrix structural organization with multiple players and be an accomplished team leader to deliver projects to (sometimes challenging) deadlines.
Major functions and responsibilities
- To manage a cohesive, growth-oriented, ROI-positive Marketing and Communications strategies that supports EASL’s broad portfolio of products, services and initiatives.
- To support the EASL Managing Director in maintaining an effective communication between EASL and its members, EASL and the global liver community, with external partners (including the EASL International Liver Foundation) and other relevant stakeholders, to enhance awareness of EASL activities and to maintain a consistent, strong and positive brand image. To update marketing and communications messaging that will enable EASL leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including key media, legislators and regulators, industry influencers, partners and others as needed.
- Ensure articulation of EASL’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Association, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Managing Director and the Governing Board.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/ public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Recommend short- and long-term MarCom association goals and objectives to the Managing Director.
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function.
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, non-profit management and governance, and the specific business of the Association and use this information to help the Association operate with initiative and innovation.
- Coordinate media interest in the Association and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Act as the EASL’s representative with the media if required.
- To manage all EASL social media platforms, including editorial calendar, daily content and advertising, to manage engaging social media content, with a focus on associate and consumer-oriented content and to research ongoing updates to social media platforms and emerging trends, to support EASL initiatives, trips, news and events on social media, including live-tweeting.
- To manage and monitor the marketing and communication strategies during the International Liver Congress (ILC) and other small events.
- To manage and to work with cross department teams on the development and the editing of EASL website and to approve its content with EASL strategy and services/products emphasis.
- To collaborate and coordinate with the Membership Department global marketing communications planning for event & activity launches including seasonal calendar activities such as ‘Call for Dues’ related to EASL Membership and EASL funding opportunities such as ‘Fellowships, Mentorships, etc.
- To oversee the dissemination of eLearning content to better support the education team and ensure relevancy of brand messaging
- To lead the creative direction and oversee the development of print marketing collateral (brochures, scientific programmes, magazines, posters, flyers, signage, booth design etc) and advertising creative (press)
- To lead, manage and motivate a young and enthusiast team to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery to an exceptional standard
- Demonstrated high capabilities for developing and implementing marketing and communication strategies
- Demonstrated capability to lead and manage a team of enthusiastic and knowledgeable individuals
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively as a member of a team, and to communicate in a cross functional environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage multiple projects involving different teams and content areas.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage available resources to drive results
- Proven communication and leadership skills, with demonstrable success in integrated marketing campaigns across digital and traditional media channels.
- Knowledgeable with GDPR, compliance principles, standards and other relevant regulations applicable to non-profit organizations.
- Experience in the management of activities relevant to the association (e.g. multimedia communications, eLearning etc.); experience in the healthcare environment would be a plus.
- 8 years of experience in a similar role
- Graduate degree or equivalent education in business administration, communication and marketing; continued education throughout career path is a must.
- English mother tongue, fluent in French.
- Strong writing and editing abilities
- Proven track record of accomplishment in a nonprofit setting demonstrating programmatic impact
- Organizational skills, ability to multitask, positive attitude to complex problem solving, computer literacy.
- Takes full ownership of projects.
- Strong project management, analytical skills.
- Must have excellent people skills and a “customer” service mentality (both internally and externally)
- Collaborative style and strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with colleagues.
- Strong integrity and ability to adhere to ethics and governance rules of EASL as a non-profit organization
- Strong customer service skills, including the ability to maintain a professional environment while managing difficult situations.
- Manages confidentiality without exception
- The position is wholly based in Geneva
- The position involves some travel
- The candidate needs to have a legal right to work in Switzerland
- Starting date: to be discussed
Please send a cover letter with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org .